Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great way to use up some of that zucchini! It is basically a spice cake with zucchini hidden in it. The icing is wonderful and the cupcakes are very moist. Kids & adults alike love them.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Add zucchini and mix well.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes.
Mmmm! I love this recipe! My kids were eating the cupcakes without frosting and loving it. However, the frosting makes the cupcake all the better. Although I did have a teenage daughter who scraped off the frosting because it was too sweet for her. The rest of us adored it! Thanks for the yummy way to use my zuch!
These cupcakes are so scrumptious! I did change a few minor things: used 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, and used 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup applesauce. I'm sure my cupcakes would have turned out incredibly moist if I'd made them with all the oil called for, but they were just fine as is. That icing is to die for! My hubby had to pull the pan out of my hands after I was done frosting the cupcakes, because I kept eating what was left over! So good, thank you!
I've been making these for years now and everyone always loves them. They're definately one of my all time favorite recipes! A great twist for cupcakes.