1/1 Photo of Yellow Cupcakes
Goes great with my Cherry Frosting (#189326) This is from Cooks Illustrated and are best eaten the day they are made, but unfrosted extras will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To double the recipe, use 3 whole eggs and 2 yolks, and double the remaining ingredients. Time does not include the cooling time. I've made these numerous times and they've never been anything like pound cake. It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe and with those I've found that if they don't turn out you're probably not following the recipe. They don't call it America's Test Kitchen for nothing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin/cupcake tin with paper or foil liners.
- 2Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment (I just use my hand mixer and have great results). Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
- 3Divide batter evenly among cups of prepared tin using 2-ounce ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Use skewer or paring knife to lift cupcakes from tin and transfer to wire rack; cool cupcakes to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yellow Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 2.8 g