1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
We LOVE these rolls. This recipe would probably make good bread too. We've used these rolls to make little sandwiches with as well as putting them on the side with dinner. It isn't real sweet, so be prepared for a true wheat taste. I've successfully substituted honey for half the sugar and soured milk for the water. The great thing about this recipe is that you can alter it to fit your needs. Want Italian rolls? Just add Italian seasoning in the mix then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and parsley before baking. Super easy and the bread machine does all the work for you! NOTE: Prep time includes time in bread machine for mixing and kneading.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1 tablespoon water, warm
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 teaspoons safflower oil or 4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shortening, can use butter (optional)
- 1Put first 9 ingredients in bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer.
- 2Turn on dough setting and let process until done.
- 3Lightly grease a 9x13 pan. (Note: I use stoneware and never grease it at all with no problems.).
- 4Shape dough into 15 uniformly shaped balls. (Use shortening or butter to grease hands for shaping.).
- 5Cover and set in a warm area to rise until doubled. Can put in warm oven on lowest setting to help with rising. Just make sure you don't cook them till they've risen.
- 6Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
- 7When done brush tops with melted butter before serving.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Bread Machine Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.7
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 238.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: