1/2 Photos of Whole Wheat Apple-Nut Bread
1 hr 25 mins
This nutty whole grain bread is even more delicious a day after baking it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (6 ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup black walnuts or 1 cup hickory nuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 1-1/2-quart casserole; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- 3Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, and oil.
- 5Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- 6Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- 7Fold in nuts and raisins and spoon batter into the prepared casserole. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- 8Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 9Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- 10Cool in casserole on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 11Remove bread from casserole.
- 12Cool completely on wire rack.
- 13If desired, wrap and store overnight before slicing (bread will be slightly moister the second day).
- 14Makes 12 servings.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Apple-Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.2
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 364.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g