Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a Betty Crocker e-mail. The picture is from them also. Cooking time includes cooling time.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix, prepared in batter form with
- egg, as called for by cake mix
- oil, as called for by cake mix
- water, as called for by cake mix
- 1 (1/8 ounce) packagecherry unsweetened flavored drink mix (other red-colored drink mix will also work)
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, plus
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (12 ounce) containerwhipped white frosting
- green food coloring
- red food coloring
- 2⁄3 cup green jelly beans
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease bottoms only of two 8- or 9-inch round pans with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir into batter 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Pour into pans.
- Bake 27 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small bowl, stir 1 cup frosting with 10 to 12 drops green food coloring. Stir 10 to 12 drops red food color into remaining frosting.
- Cut cake rounds crosswise in half to make 4 halves. Frost uncut sides with green frosting; press green jelly beans into frosting. Frost top of cake with red frosting; press remaining 2 tablespoons chocolate chips into frosting for seeds.
- To serve, cut into wedges.
Interesting recipe. Loved it
This is simply superb
This review is based on 20 pre-k kids, they all loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever! I really enjoyed making this and it was so beautiful once I got it all decorated. I used wilton dye and used the 18 tip for both the green and the pink. Thanks for posting such a fun cake that will make any kid smile.