Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was adopted from an old cookbook called "Texas Cookin" and is unlike any banana bread recipe I have ever tried. It is hands down the best banana bread and I wouldn't think of making another recipe. Just try it and you will see. The bread comes out in a perfect loaf, with a streusel like top and bottom that is so scrumptious!
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the initial 2 tablespoons of butter and next three ingredients; mix with fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Cream the 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar in bowl until light and fluffy (about 8-10 minutes).
- In separate bowl blend eggs with bananas sour cream and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Gradually add this mixture to creamed butter and sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir into banana mixture until just blended.
- Sprinkle half of the pecan mixture over bottom of greased loaf pan.
- Add batter; sprinkle remaining pecan mixture over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
So I had good luck with this delicious banana bread. From reading the other review I sprinkled the top layer of streusel in a neat line down the center of the loaf-It looked and worked fabulously. I really appreciate you posting this recipe-I will be making it again(and again...and again...lol).
This was a very nice moist banana bread. I followed the recipe exactly. I'm wondering if the topping should have included a bit of flour because mine sunk into the middle of the bread. I used an insulated 9x5x3 pan and I baked it for 65 minutes. I like the fact that it makes one loaf. I plan on making this again with a different streusel to see if it stays where it should be. Thanks for a tasty recipe!