An unusual recipe I clipped from Country Woman magazine years ago. I haven't tried it yet.
Make and share this Use up Those Green Tomatoes Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavor extract
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Drain tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup of the brown sugar, and the fresh lemon juice; simmer,uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon flavor extract and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and remaining 1 cup brown sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the oats and nuts.
- Measure out 2 1/2 cups of this dry mixture and press it into the bottom of a greased 9x13" baking pan.
- Spread the slighly cooled tomato mixture on top.
- Crumble the remaining dry mixture over the top, like a crumb topping.
- Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars to serve.