1/1 Photo of Use up Those Green Tomatoes Bars
An unusual recipe I clipped from Country Woman magazine years ago. I haven't tried it yet.
My Private Note
dozen b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavor extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1Drain tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes.
- 2In a saucepan, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup of the brown sugar, and the fresh lemon juice; simmer,uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon flavor extract and set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, cream the butter and remaining 1 cup brown sugar.
- 5Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
- 6Stir in the oats and nuts.
- 7Measure out 2 1/2 cups of this dry mixture and press it into the bottom of a greased 9x13" baking pan.
- 8Spread the slighly cooled tomato mixture on top.
- 9Crumble the remaining dry mixture over the top, like a crumb topping.
- 10Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 11Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars to serve.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Use up Those Green Tomatoes Bars
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.1
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 85.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g