Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A different way to make apple pie, delicious served warm with ice cream!.
Make and share this Upside-down Southern Apple Pecan Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup pecan halves
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 6 cups cooking apples, peeled and sliced (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Spoon butter in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Arrange pecan halves around bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup brown sugar over pecans.
- Press one of the prepared pie crusts into bottom and along sides of the pan (over the pecans and sugar); trim off excess pastry.
- In a bowl, combine apples and lemon.
- Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar and remaining ingredients; toss gently, and add/mix in with the apples.
- Spoon the apple mixture evenly over the crust in the pie pan.
- Top with remaining pie pastry; fold edges over and flute.
- Prick the crust a few times with a fork.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes, then turn the pie upside down on a pie plate.
My recipe is only slightly different so I am sure that they taste pretty much the same...this is an AMAZING pie! Fun presentation and tastes wonderful! Make sure you turn it out after only 5 minutes though or it sticks in the pie plate!
I used fuji apples, and slivered almonds intead of the pecans. My family was wowed with how it looked and tasted. Everyone had 2 pieces. So simple to prepare. I'll never go back to traditional pie again.
I have made this apple pie for years. It is our favorite. It also makes a very impressive presentation!! Give it a try....you won't be sorry.