1 hr 30 mins
Delicious fall desert when pears and maple sugar are abundant. The original recipes (printed in Bon Appetit, October 1986) calls for granulated maple sugar, but I use brown sugar which is more readily available, and pure maple syrup.
My Private Note
9inch c ...
Units: US | Metric
- butter or margarine, for greasing pan
- brown sugar or maple sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, room temperature
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into 6 pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup maple sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, room temp
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Optional whipped cream topping
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch (3" high) round cake pan.
- 3Sprinkle with brown or maple sugar.
- 4Cream 5 tablespoons butter (or margarine) with brown and white sugar.
- 5Add maple syrup and salt.
- 6Spread topping mixture into prepared pan.
- 7Press pear slices into sugar mixture, arranging them in a spoke design.
- 8Set aside while preparing cake batter.
- 9Sift together dry ingredients (flour-cinnamon). Set aside.
- 10In a medium bowl, cream 6 tablespoons and 1 cup brown or maple sugar together until light.
- 11Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- 12Add sour cream, beating until smooth.
- 13Mix in maple syrup.
- 14Fold in flour mixture and then walnuts, if using.
- 15Pour batter into prepared pan (over pears).
- 16Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 17Cool 10 minutes.
- 18Run knife around cake and invert cake onto platter, leave pan on cake an additional 5 minutes before removing pan very carefully.
- 19Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream topping (recipe follows).
- 20To make whipped cream topping: Beat cream until soft peaks form.
- 21Add sugar and bourbon, if using.
- 22Continue beating until soft peaks form again.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Upside-Down Pear Cake
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1001.9
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.4 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 224.8 mg
- Sodium 836.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 83.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g