These are so good. When inverted onto a rack, all the gooey good stuff is on the top. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes, but my advise is make a double recipe of these delicious cupcakes, they will be gone in a flash!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 36 -48 walnut halves
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened or 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease very well, 12 muffin cups.
- In a small saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup melted butter, brown sugar and 1 Tbsp water; simmer for 1 minute.
- Place 3-4 walnut halves in the bottom of each of prepared muffin cups.
- Evenly divide, and pour the cooked mixture over the walnuts in the muffin cups.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream 1/4 cup butter (or shortening if using).
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, and continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Blend in dry ingredients alternately with the 1/2 cup water (or milk if using), beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Fill the muffin cups 1/2 full with the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes test done.
- Remove from the muffin tins, let cool INVERTED on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sweetened condensed milk and the chocolate; cook over very low heat until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in 2 Tbsp butter; keep warm.
- Spread on the sides of cup-cakes.
these were just ok. nothing special and they took a long time to make. Probably wont make them again.
Yum! My husband got his braces off so I wanted to make something ooey gooey for him. I used my traditional subs, which is white wheat flour, pecans for walnuts, fat free condensed milk etc. The ooey topping oozed out of my muffin cups and set my oven on fire, but the thing is, these were so good it was worth it! :) Love the chocolate frosting. I intend to make that for other things.
Sooo good, I omitted the chocolate frosting and instead served it with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.