1/2 Photos of Ultimate Oatmeal Cookies
Galley Wench's Note:
These are definitely the ULTIMATE in oatmeal cookies. I've been using craisins instead of dried cherrirs and they're WONDERFUL! Recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats, old-fashioned (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (4 ounces)
- 1 cup dried tart cherry, chopped coarse (5 ounces)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks about size of chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, preferably dark (10 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- 4In second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and chocolate.
- 5In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute.
- 6Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- 7Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- 8With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated.
- 9Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 10Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart.
- 11Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness.
- 12Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer.
- 13Do not overbake.
- 14Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Oatmeal Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.1 mg
- Sodium 143.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g