1/1 Photo of Ukranian Poppy Seed Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This was a graduate school favorite that I recently dug out of a very old box of recipe clips. I have no idea where the recipe originated but have fond memories of sitting with my housemates in the kitchen eating hot slabs of this cake right out of the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat poppyseeds and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat just before milk begins to boil. Let stand until milk reaches room temperature.
- 2Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- 3Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt).
- 5AIn thirds, alternately beat into the butter and sugar the dry ingredients and milk. Add the vanilla and lemon zest at the end.
- 6Lightly butter 2 loaf pans and split batter between pans. Bake 40-50 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukranian Poppy Seed Cake
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.2 mg
- Sodium 163.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g