1 hr 15 mins
This is a Turtle Cake recipe that makes the cake "from scratch" instead of using a box mix. It's a little time consuming but it is well worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 5/8 cup canned milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups pecans, chopped, divided
- 1Combine all dry ingredients (except sugar); set aside.
- 2Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- 3Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk (not canned milk), just until blended.
- 4Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 9x13 pan. bake for 12-14 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- 5Heat caramels and canned milk. Melt.
- 6Pour caramel mixture over cake, spreading to the edges.
- 7Sprinkle with 1 cup of chocolate chips and the 1 cup of the chopped pecans.
- 8Spoon remaining batter over top, carefully spreading to the edges.
- 9Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- 10Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spread over cooled cake.
- 11Sprinkle with the remaining pecans.
- 12I like to serve this with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turtle Cake from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.8
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 64.8 mg
- Sodium 417.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 74.4 g
- Protein 11.4 g