Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Turtle Cake recipe that makes the cake "from scratch" instead of using a box mix. It's a little time consuming but it is well worth it!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 5⁄8 cup canned milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups pecans, chopped, divided
- Combine all dry ingredients (except sugar); set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk (not canned milk), just until blended.
- Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 9x13 pan. bake for 12-14 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Heat caramels and canned milk. Melt.
- Pour caramel mixture over cake, spreading to the edges.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of chocolate chips and the 1 cup of the chopped pecans.
- Spoon remaining batter over top, carefully spreading to the edges.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spread over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining pecans.
- I like to serve this with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
I love to make things from scratch so I tried this, glad I did. I turned out like a giant candy bar! I found the recipe a little hard to read, I almost added the sugar with the dry ingredients. I also had to bake the bottom layer of the cake for 5 min longer. The bottom layer was not be finished baking when I put the caramel on top, but this didn't seem to be a problem. Great Recipe! Thanks!