1/2 Photos of Tropical Carrot Cake with Coconut Cream Frosting
24 hrs 30 mins
This cake can be prepared one day ahead. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sifted, then measured)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 3 (8 ounce) packages philadelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (scant)
- 14 whole dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1For Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Butter three 9" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2"-high sides.
- 3Line bottom with parchment paper.
- 4Combine 1/3 cup flour and next three ingredients in processor.
- 5Process until nuts are finely chopped.
- 6Whisk remaining two cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- 7Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend.
- 8Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- 9Beat in vanilla.
- 10Beat in flour-spice mixture.
- 11Stir in coconut-macadamia nut mixture, then carrots and crushed pineapple.
- 12Divide batter among pans.
- 13Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- 14Cool in pans, on rack 1 hour.
- 15Run knife around edge of pans to loosen cakes.
- 16Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely.
- 17For Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- 18Beat in powdered sugar, then cream of coconut and both extracts.
- 19Chill until firm enough to spread.
- 20,about 30 minutes.
- 21Place one cake layer, flat side up on platter.
- 22Spread 3/4 cup frosting over top of cake.
- 23Top with second cake layer, flat side up.
- 24Spread 3/4 cup of frostin gover.
- 25Top with third cake layer, rounded side up, pressing slightly to adhere.
- 26Spread thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 27Chill cake and remaining frosting 30 minutes.
- 28Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 29Arrange whole nuts and ginger around top edge of cake.
- 30Chill 1 hour (Cake can be made one day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tropical Carrot Cake with Coconut Cream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1458.9
- Calories from Fat 893
- Total Fat 99.2 g
- Saturated Fat 44.1 g
- Cholesterol 245.0 mg
- Sodium 838.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 133.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 96.9 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: