Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This cake can be prepared one day ahead. From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Tropical Carrot Cake with Coconut Cream Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sifted, then measured)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 3⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 3 (8 ounce) packagesphiladelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (scant)
- 14 whole dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter three 9" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2"-high sides.
- Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour and next three ingredients in processor.
- Process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Whisk remaining two cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in flour-spice mixture.
- Stir in coconut-macadamia nut mixture, then carrots and crushed pineapple.
- Divide batter among pans.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans, on rack 1 hour.
- Run knife around edge of pans to loosen cakes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely.
- For Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar, then cream of coconut and both extracts.
- Chill until firm enough to spread.
- ,about 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer, flat side up on platter.
- Spread 3/4 cup frosting over top of cake.
- Top with second cake layer, flat side up.
- Spread 3/4 cup of frostin gover.
- Top with third cake layer, rounded side up, pressing slightly to adhere.
- Spread thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Chill cake and remaining frosting 30 minutes.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Arrange whole nuts and ginger around top edge of cake.
- Chill 1 hour (Cake can be made one day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.).
This was a very moist and flavorful carrot cake. I couldn't find any coco lopez in my store but finaly found some other brand cream of coconut in the Asian section. This was a fun cake to make and tasty too! Thanks!
A moist and delicious cake. I made this for a dinner party when it was first published. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe.
I saw this recipe in BonAppetite a few years ago and I made it. It was an amazing cake and everyone loved it! Must try it! Thanks for posting this. :)