Cook1 hr 40 mins
This is a really nice light cake. Lots of chocolate flavor. Kids just devoured it. Very easy to make. Adapted from a recipe in Woman's World.
- 1 quart strawberry
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup jam (used wild berry)
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce white chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 2 9" round pans.
- In a small bowl slice 2 cups of strawberries and add 1 Tbsp brown sugar and stir to coat, set aside.
- In another bowl haul the remainder of the strawberries, half or leave whole.
- Add the remaining Tbsp of brown sugar and stir to coat, set aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar and butter, beat at medium high speed until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, soda and salt and gradually beat into the egg, butter mixture.
- Melt the chocolate into the boiling water, or microwave to melt chocolate.
- Gradually beat into the batter (The batter is thin).
- Divide the batter pouring it into the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely.
- In a bowl beat cream and confectioners' sugar until slightly thick at medium speed.
- Add the melted white chocolate to the cream increase the speed to medium high and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Put 1 1/2 cup of the cream in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, set aside.
- When cake has completely cooled spread 1/2 the jam on the the top of the bottom layer.
- Spread the other 1/2 of jam on what will be the bottom of the top layer.
- Use 2 cups of whipping cream and spread on top of jam of bottom layer of cake.
- Arrange the strawberry slices evenly over the whipped cream layer.
- Then place top layer of cake on the cake with the jam side going on top of the strawberries.
- Use remaining whipped cream spread evenly to cover the cake.
- Arrange the whole or halved strawberries on the top of the cake leaving about a 1" boarder on the outer edge.
- Take the pastry bag and pipe rosettes around the edge of cake.