3 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Chef Jean's Note:
For this recipe I used a Kitchen Aide Mixer to mix and knead the dough. You can of course do it by hand or you can follow your bread machines instructions for Bread with Mix-ins. I have not tried using this recipe in a bread machine so I do not know what the outcome will be! I used 6 cups of flour, but you may need to adjust to make the dough just stiff enough to handle.Do not add to much flour. The prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1In your kitchenaide mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix together all of the bread ingedients, except the flour, until blended. Add the flour 2 cups at a time until the dough comes together and you can touch it without it completely sticking to your fingers. A little sticky is ok as long as you can pick it up in one ball.
- 2Knead with the dough hook for 8 minutes. Then remove and place the dough in a large greased bowl, making sure all the dough has been lightly coated with grease. Cover and let rise until double in size, this took about 2 hours for me.
- 3While the dough is rising, mix together the filling ingrdients and set aside in the refrigerator.
- 4Once the dough has doubled pour the filling over the dough and punch down, mixing the filling into the dough as you fold dough over itself.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a very well floured surface. Knead the dough about 12 times to get the filling well combined int he dough. Mixing the filling in will get kind of messy so use lots of flour to help!
- 6Cut the dough half and shape each peice into a large round loaf. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and let rise a second time. This will take about 30 minutes, or until the loafs have almost doubled(about 1.5 times bigger).
- 7Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then if you like a crispy crust turn heat to 400 and bake for 10 more minutes.
- 8I turned my second loaf into crutons, which were really really good!
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Trail Mix Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1752.2
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3799.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 326.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 35.7 g
- Protein 43.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: