1/3 Photos of Tie-Dyed Angel Food Cake
3 hrs 20 mins
Redneck Epicurean's Note:
This is more of a method of decorating rather than a recipe, sort of. You could certainly make your angel food cake from scratch (and of course, they are MUCH better), but when you're getting ready for a party, any short-cut is appreciated, as is keeping costs down. Idea is from a children's party cookbook from the library. The passive time includes cooling and baking times and the cake can even be made the day ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Move the oven rack to the lowest position. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. (Do not grease or flour your tube pan and do not substitute a fluted Bundt pan).
- 2In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, and lemon/orange peel on low for 30 seconds and medium for 1 minute.
- 3Divide the batter evenly among three small bowls.
- 4Gently fold in 6-8 drops of food coloring in each, being careful not to deflate mix.
- 5Layer the batters in a 10-inch tube pan (anything smaller will overflow).
- 6Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke a few holes around the cake to "tie-dye" it. (The best way I found to do this is to stick the spoon handle straight down and pull it straight up.).
- 7Bake 37-47 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cracks feel dry.
- 8Don't underbake.
- 9Immediately turn the pan upside down on a bottle (something glass, like a soy sauce bottle or a wine bottle) to cool.
- 10Leave to cool for 2 hours.
- 11Run a knife around the edges to release and place on the serving platter.
- 12Spoon 1/2 the frosting into a microwavable bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds or until frosting can be drizzled.
- 13Drizzle over cake.
- 14Place remaining frosting in a sandwich baggie and snip just enough of the corner (or use a writing tip) to make a VERY VERY thin line.
- 15Pipe a ribbon and bow on each candy square to look like a present.
- 16Arrange on top of the cake.
- 17Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tie-Dyed Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.7
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 313.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: