Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was given to me by my aunt, a prolific baker. I've used it for years, in savoury and sweet pies and it is always great.
- Simply mix together the ingredients and press into a pie dish.
- If you are going to use a raw filling to bake later, pre-bake the pastry shell for 10 minutes at 180°C.
- To use with cooked fillings or for unbaked pies, pre-bake the pastry shell for 30 minutes at 180°C.
- For a savoury pie, omit the sugar and add 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese and a pinch of nutmeg.
- For extra flavour, add 2 tablespoons grated coconut to the pastry mixture.
This was horrible! Fell apart and had a very gritty texture.
I love how simple this pastry is to make, however mine didn't turn out was well as my shortcrust when made using the traditional method. The pastry (I used the 'sweet' version) seemed greasier and the buttery flavour in the pastry was quite strong, despite sticking to the quantities in the recipe. Looks like other people had better luck than me though!
great, easy receipe, i'm going to put away the rolling pin for good! i did add 3 tsps of dry mustard powder along with the grated cheese,as this is my staple with savoury pastry and old habits die hard! omitted the salt as i felt there is enough with the cheese. i also doubled the ingredients for my flan dish-12 inches diameter. i also chilled the pastry in the flan dish before the prebake for a crispier pastry.