Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Mix the starter and 2 1/2 Cups of the flour and all the water the night before you want to bake.
- Let stand in warm place overnight.
- Next morning mix in the butter with warm milk and stir in yeast until until dissolved.
- Add honey and when thoroughly mixed, add 2 more cups of flour, and stir in the wheat germ.
- Sprinkle sugar, salt, and baking soda over the mixture.
- Gentlypress into dough and mix lightly.
- Allow to stand from 30 to 50 minutes until mixture is bubbly.
- Add enough flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Then place the dough on a lightly floured board and kead 100 times or until silky mixture is developed.
- Form into 4 1-lb loaves, place in well-greased loaf pans 9 x 3 size.
- Let rise until double, about 2 to 3 hours in a warm room.
- Then bake in hot oven, 400 degrees F, for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp. to 325 degrees F. and bake 20 minutes longer or until thoroughly baked.
- Remove from pans and place loaves on rack to cool.
- Butter tops of loaves to prevent hard crustyness.
This bread is really great - I've made it several times now. From all the sourdough recipes on here, this has turned out to be my favorite. Thanks for posting!!
What a great bread! I made with my grandson and he was so in awe at the process (especially after the first 50 mins), and was proud of himself to make bread! will make this often !! Thanks for sharing
This was a very good bread, really easy to make and tasty. I made it for a dinner party, 3 smaller round loaves and 2 large round loaves. One guest ate half a large loaf herself. Thank you for a new recipe to add to my cookbook.