Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I adore these cookies! I found the recipe in a cute cookbook called "365 quick and inexpensive dinner menus". Everyone (even those who say 'I don't like ginger cookies') loves these!
- Combine shortening, sugar, molasses and egg and beat throughly.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves to flour and mix together.
- Gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll into 1 inch bals and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on cookie sheet (I like to flatten them slightly with bottom of a glass).
- Bake at 325 for 8 minutes **very important not to over bake or else they won't be soft!**.
Excellent, easy recipe. Tastes a lot like Archway soft molasses cookies. Very quick to make. I increased the cinnamon, plus I added a pinch of allspice.
these are so yummy! pretty easy too! the only thing i would like to say is for us who aren't into baking as much and may not know- the cookies need to be soft (i mean, really soft- like they are still undercooked) or else they will harden after they come out. I am not a baker , and didn't know that cookies naturally harden a little after they come out of the oven... that being said, they are still good- just harder than intended!! great recipe!
Good cookies. But I waaay overcooked them (it just seemed too wet inside otherwise). They turned out to be perfectly acceptable ginger snap-like cookies.