Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I lived in the deep south for over 20 years and have tasted hundreds of sweet potato pies. This is the best recipe I've tried. It's the only one I make now. I find the flavor more complex if you bake the sweet potatoes instead of boiling them. Baking them in a slow oven until they begin to caramelize really brings out their flavor.
- 2 cups peeled and mashed sweet potato (baked or boiled)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- Put sweet potatoes and butter in mixing bowl and mix until butter is well incorporated.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake on middle rack in a 350°F oven for 40 - 50 minutes or until done.
- Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
This is an AWESOME recipe for sweet potato pie! Instead of baking the potatoes, though, I boiled them. I would love to try it with baked potatoes when I have more time. I only used 3/4 cup of sugar and the pie was plenty sweet enough for me. I omitted the nutmeg because I didn't have any. Next time I would like to add a dash of salt to the pie filling before baking (and there will DEFINITELY be a next time!). Thank you for sharing.
Very good pie, I used graham crust on mines.....and it taste just like my mother's pie....
This pie is wonderful, it has made any of my friends and family abandon that boring pumpkin pie and convert to sweet potato pie! YUM!