1/1 Photo of Susan's Perfect Lemon Bars
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from a Cook's Illustrated article by Susan Logozzo about perfecting the lemon bar. NOTE: The lemon filling must be added to a warm crust. The 30 minute chilling time and 20 minute baking of the crust should allow plenty of time to prepare the filling. If not, make the filling first and stir to blend just before pouring it onto the crust. Prep time includes 30 minute chilling time for crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar (plus extra to sprinkle over finished bars)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter, at cool room temperature, cut into 1 inch pieces
- extra butter, for greasing pan
- 1Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and line it with a sheet of parchment paper.
- 3Dot parchment paper with butter, then lay a second sheet of parchment crosswise over the first one, allowing the ends to extend over the top edge of the pan by about 1 inch.
- 4To Mix Crust in Food Processor: In a food processor, fitted with steel blade, pulse together the flour, confectioner's sugar, cornstarch and salt to mix well.
- 5Add 12 Tablespoons butter and process to blend (about 8 to 10 seconds), then pulse until mixture is a pale yellow color and resembles a coarse meal, (about three-1-second bursts).
- 6To Mix Crust By Hand: Mix flour, confectioner's sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a medium bowl.
- 7Freeze butter and grate it on the large holes of a box grater into the flour mixture.
- 8Toss butter pieces to coat.
- 9Rub coated butter pieces between your fingers for a minute, until flour turns pale yellow and coarse.
- 10Sprinkle crust mixture into parchment lined pan.
- 11Using both hands, firmly press mixture into an even, 1/4" layer over the entire pan bottom and about 1/2" up the sides.
- 12Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- 13Remove chilled crust and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 14Filling: Prepare filling while crust is baking.
- 15In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and flour.
- 16Stir in lemon zest, juice, milk and salt; stirring to blend well.
- 17Remove crust from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- 18Stir filling mixture to reblend and pour over warm crust.
- 19Return bars to oven and bake about 20 minutes, or until filling feels firm when lightly touched.
- 20Remove from oven and place pan on wire rack to cool until almost room temperature (at least 30 minutes).
- 21Grasp the edges of the lengthwise parchment paper (long sides of the pan) and lift the lemon bars out of the pan and onto a cutting board or counter.
- 22Carefully peel the paper down from the sides and using a pizza cutter or knife, slice them into serving size bars, wiping pizza cutter or knife clean between cuts as necessary.
- 23Sieve confectioner's sugar over bars, if desired.
- 24Leftover bars can be sealed in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Susan's Perfect Lemon Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 197.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 29.6 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: