Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Super Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt thoroughly.
- Cut in butter to make fine crumbs.
- Stir in currants.
- In small bowl, beat egg lightly; remove 1 Tablespoon and combine with cream. Set aside.
- Add buttermilk to remaining egg.
- Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Gather into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently a few times until smooth.
- Roll or pat to 1" thickness.
- Cut into 3.5" or 2.5" rounds. (Don't twist!)
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with reserved egg mixture.
- Bake in 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 15 minutes or until golden and baked through.
- Serve fresh baked and warm if possible.
Awesome and easy
I found the dough to be very sticky. I think you need more flour or less liqud. However, the scones were very light and tasty. Because the dough was so sticky it made it hard to work with. Because of the texture and flavor I gave it a 4.
Very tastey. Light and not too dry. Very flakey. I didn't have any buttermilk so I used sour milk. Didn't rise much. Not too sweet. Next time I will add more raisins.