Prep 2 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a super quick, super easy dessert to make. Three ingredients and two minutes of prep time is all it takes. Doesn't get any easier. I've used other items instead of fruit cocktail like canned pears, canned blueberries or canned cherries. I've also sprinkled coconut on top of the cake before baking which adds great flavor. Serve plain, with Cool Whip or your favorite ice cream.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fruit cocktail (I use Del Monte Carb Clever to cut down on some of the sugar)
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt one stick of butter in a microwave safe dish for 1 minute 40 seconds on 50% power.
- Pour entire contents of fruit cocktail cans (juice and all) into a 8 X 11 glass pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spread fruit cocktail evenly on bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle box of yellow cake mix, evenly, over top of fruit cocktail. Do NOT mix cake mix and fruit cocktail. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out cake mix.
- Drizzle melted butter over top of cake mix. (Cake mix does not need to be completely covered in butter).
- (Optional - sprinkle a small amount coconut on top of the cake before baking, photo shows it with coconut).
- Bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Whether you call it cobbler or "dump cake", this is a classic. It was a real hit with my family last night. Try this with chocolate cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling and a can of crushed pineapple - yum!
Question - Do I mix the cake mix as if I was making a regular cake ?
It's delicious, and easy to make! The recipe doesn't need any adjusting.<br/>We like to use a butter cake mix, and we get the store brand which is just as good. It makes for a super-buttery flavor.<br/>Doesn't have to be fruit cocktail, can be diced peaches, etc. but I would avoid "lite" syrup ones. Also, be aware of your fruit and cake mix flavors, some might not combine well.<br/>I top mine with crushed pecans, about 1/2 cup on top of the cake mix, and then pour the butter over it all.