I call these "summer" cookies because I made them for a June graduation party. They are very refreshing and light. Top with a lemon glaze and you have perfection! I received this recipe in a newsletter from the Old Farmer's Almanac.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar; add eggs, beating well.
- Beat in lemon rind and juice.
- Gradually add flour mixture, then stir in oats.
- Chill dough thoroughly (at least 2 hours).
- Roll level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place onto greased cookie sheets, allowing room for cookies to spread.
- Using a flat-bottomed glass or custard cup that has been greased and dipped into sugar, flatten each ball to a 1/4 inch thickness (dip the glass into sugar each time).
- Bake at 375 degrees F until lightly browned around the edges, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then carefully move to wire rack.