Delicious way to use summer fruits. Although you can use frozen fruits, I like to use fresh summer fruit in this cake. My favorites are peaches, apricots and plums. Original recipe was printed in Bon Appetit (August, 1981).
- 2 cups flour (I use 1 cup white and 1 cup whole-wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups summer fruit, chopped and drained (apricots, nectarines, peaches and plums are good, use a mixture if possible)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9x13-inch pan.
- Combine flour-salt in bowl.
- Beat eggs-vanilla in large bowl.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (fruit-raisins).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking make glaze: Combine all glaze ingredients (sugar-baking soda) in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and poke entire surface of cake with a toothpick.
- Pour glaze over hot cake slowly.
Yum! This cake is so moist and tasty. I used fresh peaches and plums, but omitted the coconut since I'm not a fan. The result was stupendous! I will certainly make this cake again.
This cake is so good. I bought peaches to put in this cake, but when I cut them up, they were not ripe and had no flavor. I had a bag of mixed berries in the freezer (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries) so I decided to try that instead. It was delicious! Next time I will leave out the raisins. Just a personal preference.
This is a moist and delicious cake! I didn't change a thing other than making it in two 8x8 pans so I could have one to take to a friend. Thank you!