These Sugar Cookies are marvelous! Light, Crispy, Yummy and so easy. I got this recipe from a co-worker many years ago. Dieters beware--it is hard to eat just one. Tip-I have tried to substitute margarine in place of the butter, and the cookies were not as good. I have also used colored sugars for dipping the glass into for the holidays and that worked very well. Not recommended for rolled out cookies as the dough is too delicate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, powdered sugar, butter, and vegetable oil.
- Beat in egg and extract.
- Add next 4 ingredients and mix together. The dough will be somewhat soft. Refrigerate a few minutes if too soft to work with.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in reserved 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in granulated sugar (or colored sugar if you prefer).
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Note: Cookies should be only very slightly browned. They will be a more of a light golden color.
The only complaint I received about this recipe was that I didn't double it. I got exactly 24 cookies from the recipe, divided between the five of us. They were all gone in just a few minutes! I can't wait to make these again (doubling the recipe of course!). Thanks for sharing the recipe.
These cookies did not at all turn out like the picture. I rolled mine into balls and baked them at 340 degrees for about 15 minutes and they came out perfect. The looked like little puff balls. They taste more like almond that sugar because of the almond extract. Maybe next time I'll try putting crushed almonds in the batter.
I made these cookies for Christmas!! I rolled them in colored sugar. They were very good!! In fact they were the first to go in my Beauty Shop!! I loved the crisp flavor! I will make them again. Thanks for sharing!!