Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe from the KLS-TV Cooking Show. While rhubarb is in season is a great time to try this wonderful dessert. It has a delightful strawberry-rhubarb filling and is crowned with whipped cream. This recipe heralds spring.
- Combine rhubarb and the juice of one orange (juice should equal at least 1/4 cup liquid- if additional liquid is needed, add water to make 1/4 cup).
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, cover and cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender.
- Set aside 1/2 cup sliced strawberries.
- Stir remaining strawberries into rhubarb mixture.
- Stir in a few drops red food color for eye appeal.
- Mixture will begin to thicken slightly.
- Slice cake horizontally to make 3 layers.
- Spoon 1/2 the filling on bottom cake layer.
- Add second layer cake and spoon on remaining filling.
- Place top layer on cake.
- Chill cream well, whip until stiff.
- Set aside.
- Beat together ricotta cheese, 4 tablespoons sugar, and the grated peel of one orange.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Fold whipped cream into whipped ricotta cheese.
- Frost the sides and top of cake with whip cream mixture.
- Garnish with remaining strawberry slices and mint leaves.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cake is best if served same day.