I love strawberries, and this is a wonderful recipe with a hint of cinnamon, vanilla and almond. Hope you try it!
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, ligtly beaten
- In lg saucepan, combine strawberries and cornstarch til blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cinnamon, almond and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, set aside.
- In lg. bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter til mixture is crumbly.
- *Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add baking powder, soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk, 1 teaspoons vanilla and beaten egg til moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups batter into greased 8" square baking dish.
- Carefully spread/top with strawberry mixture.
- Drop remaining batter by Tbls. over strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes or til golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.