Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love strawberries, and this is a wonderful recipe with a hint of cinnamon, vanilla and almond. Hope you try it!
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, ligtly beaten
- In lg saucepan, combine strawberries and cornstarch til blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cinnamon, almond and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, set aside.
- In lg. bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter til mixture is crumbly.
- *Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add baking powder, soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk, 1 teaspoons vanilla and beaten egg til moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups batter into greased 8" square baking dish.
- Carefully spread/top with strawberry mixture.
- Drop remaining batter by Tbls. over strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes or til golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
Whew, I've had this saved for maybe a couple of weeks now and I finally got some "quiet time" today. Honestly this one of the best coffee cakes I can remember eating. Loved that it wasn't overly sweet so the wonderful flavor of ripe strawberry was allowed to shine. I used Splenda to replace the sugar. DS is here for Easter and he and his dad have already eaten over half of it and they have only been home for an hour, lol. That says success to me. Thanks Wildflower for a real keeper!
Four stars from me because I wish there had been a sweeter topping...like the ones you find at the grocery stores with a little bit of cream cheese glaze. My mom, however, gave this 5 stars and said "this is what coffee cake is supposed to taste like!"
A great recipe to try. Everybody loved this . Well worth trying.