With so many strawberry bread recipes on here already, I felt sure that this one would be up. I am surprised to find that it is not - so I must share it with you! This is the recipe my mom always uses to make strawberry bread, and now I do too. It has an absolutely wonderful flavor. I use it quite often for hostess gifts. I recently saw one of the couples I gave it to as just such a gift, and they asked me when that strawberry bread can come over again -- oh and me too ;) Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do. This can be frozen too - so you can make extra during strawberry season for when you get the craving during winter :) Thanks to the almond extract, this also tastes great without the almonds if you don't care for actual nuts in the bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 5" large loaf pan.
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Beat in egg yolks and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the strawberries to the butter mixture, and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, beat egg whites.
- Fold the beaten egg whites and almonds into the bread mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the bread tests done to the poke test.