1/1 Photo of Squidgy Chocolate Log
1 hr 10 mins
If you want a dessert to impress, then this recipe is for you. This is a family favourite and is requested for celebrations. The cake has no flour in it, so it's very light, and indulgent with its chocolate mousse and whipped cream filling. The recipe comes from Delia Smith, and I have tweaked it slightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a tin measuring 9”x13" with baking parchment.
- 2To make the mousse filling; In a bowl, whip the heavy cream until just going stiff.
- 3Break the chocolate into another bowl, place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and leave until melted.
- 4Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, followed by the cointreau, if using.
- 5Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the chocolate mixture, now fold in about 3 tablespoons of the whipped cream; Cover the bowl and chill for about an hour.
- 6To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350º F, place the egg yolks into a large bowl and whisk until they start to thicken, add the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens, but don't let it get over thick.
- 7Mix in the cocoa powder.
- 8Using a clean whisk and bowl, beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage.
- 9Carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, pour the mixture into the prepared tin, making sure you spread it evenly to the edges of the tin.
- 10Bake for 20-25 minutes until springy and firm to the touch; (The cake may shrink as it cools but that is normal).
- 11When the cake is cold, turn out onto a rectangular piece of baking parchment, that has been liberally dusted with powdered (icing) sugar.
- 12Peel off the parchment paper and using a spatula spread the chocolate mousse all over the cake, followed by the rest of the whipped cream.
- 13Gently roll up the cake lengthwise, to make a roll.
- 14Dust with more powdered sugar if needed.
- 15Note that the cake will crack during rolling but that is normal and looks attractive.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squidgy Chocolate Log
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.6
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 237.0 mg
- Sodium 93.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 12.1 g