1/6 Photos of Sourdough Rosemary Potato Bread
This makes 2 very large or 3 regular sized loaves. I like mine just shaped into a loaf and placed on a baking sheet, however I'm sure bread pans will work ok. This bread is very crusty on the outside (which if you don't like that just omit spraying with water) while nice and chewy on the inside. It can be tricky to bake as it tends to brown quickly so I place a foil tent over the loaves after they've baked for 15-20 minutes. (This makes great sandwiches, we like roast chicken and havarti cheese)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sourdough starter, brought to room temp
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, plain and warm (I use prepared instant to make this quicker)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (can use oil) or 1/2 cup margarine (can use oil)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 -8 cups flour
- 1Combine the first four ingredients in a large non-metal bowl and blend well.
- 2Cover and let stand overnight till light and bubbly.
- 3Do not skip this step!
- 4Add the next 5 ingredients and 3 c flour.
- 5Mix in enough of the rest of the flour to make a soft but pliable not quite sticky dough (fingers when touching the dough should come back clean).
- 6Place dough in an oiled bowl turning once to coat both sides, cover and let rise 2 hours.
- 7Place dough on counter (lightly floured if needed) divide in 2 or three equal portions and let rest 10 minutes.
- 8Form into loaf shape and place on greased baking sheet, do not make to thick or this will never get done in the middle.
- 9Let rise till doubled.
- 10Just before baking slash the tops with a sharp knife 4-5 times.
- 11Spray dough and inside of oven w/ water (will need to repeat at least every 15 minutes) and bake in a 350 oven 1 hour for large loaves and 45 minutes for regular sized. Watch carefully to prevent overbrowning. May need to increase bake time depending on the area you live.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Rosemary Potato Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1630.1
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 82.7 mg
- Sodium 2044.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 289.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 24.1 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: