1/1 Photo of Sourdough Mannaeesh
3 hrs 10 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
Mannaeesh is a Middle Eastern favorite. It is lightly leavened to produce a soft bread that puffs and forms a hollowed pouch into which all sorts of yummy things may be stuffed. This is fun to bake and fun to eat. From "World Sourdoughs From Antiquity" by Ed Wood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure starter into large mixing bowl.
- 2Add salt and sugar to the warm water and stir briefly to dissolve.
- 3Add this mixture to the starter and mix well.
- 4Add flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is too stiff to mix by hand.
- 5Turn onto a floured surface and knead in remaining flour until dough is satiny.
- 6Divide into 10 equal balls.
- 7Roll the balls into flat rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
- 8Proof the rounds, covered, at 85 degrees F for 1 to 2 hours.
- 9Mix the olive oil, thyme, marjoram, and sesame seeds together and spread some on the surface of each round.
- 10Preheat the oven and the baking sheet to 450 degrees F and using a large spatula, slide the rounds onto the heated baking sheet one at a time.
- 11Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until the rounds puff up suddenly, forming a central cavity.
- 12Cool on wire racks.
- 13NOTE: This recipe can be halved and made in the bread machine on the dough cycle.
- 14Shape and bake as above.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Mannaeesh
Serving Size: 1 (978 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.0
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 234.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: