1/5 Photos of Sourdough Hamburger Buns
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe was found someplace on the web and I made major adjustments. They are nice and soft and the wheat bran adds extra fiber. I also used about 2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour adding 1 cup to the sponge and then another cup with the remaining flour. These remind me of Roman Meal buns which we were quite fond of. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup sourdough starter, freshly fed
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 1Dissolve the yeast in warm water until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in the 1 cup of starter and 2 cups flour.
- 3Allow the mixture to rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 4Stir in honey, milk, salt, oil and eggs; mixing well.
- 5Add the bran and enough flour to make soft dough.
- 6Knead gently until smooth and elastic, working in more flour as needed, form into a ball.
- 7Grease a large glass bowl, place dough in bowl and turn over to grease the top, cover and let rise until double, approximately 1 hour.
- 8Punch dough down, knead 2 minutes, divide dough in half and shape each into a 12-inch log.
- 9With a bread knife, slice each log into 7 equal portions and with lightly floured hands, shape into round balls.
- 10Place on greased cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- 11Brush with egg white wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired; cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- 12Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 13Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 14Bake the buns in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 15Slice with sharp bread knife before serving.
- 16Please note: When baking with sourdough it is difficult to give exact measurements as to flour. So much depends on the starter and how thick it is as not all starters are created the same.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Hamburger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.6
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 27.7 mg
- Sodium 378.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: