I have been making this particular pie for so long that the paper is yellow with age! The topping gives this smooth and delicious pie an unexpected crunch!
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Arrange rhubarb in unbaked pie shell.
- Mix together granulated sugar and 1/3 cup flour.
- Stir in sour cream and pour evenly over rhubarb.
- Combine crumb ingredients and sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350F degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes or until fruit is tender, filling is set and crumbs are golden brown.
A smashing success--everyone loves it! Same crumb topping my mother always used on her apple pies--also good with chopped pecans added. I have made this several times now using My No Roll Pie Crust #51537, pre-baked. I use frozen rhubarb as we rarely have fresh available--just make sure it's completely thawed--about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 16 oz bags = 4 cups--cutting the pieces to even size. This one is best eaten the first day, in my opinion. Yummmmm!
Perfect. Just like my German Grandma used to make.
The flavor was outstanding in this pie, sweetness didn't overpower the tang of the rhubarb - it was a perfect balance between tangy, sour & sweet. But the consistency was VERY soupy. I'm not sure why - I followed the directions exactly. Unfortunately the runny filling will eliminate this recipe from my cookbook.