Twinkies and cake mix end up looking like little bodies sleeping under a blanket with a pillow. Fun to make for your kids overnight party - or have the girls make it themselves, they'll love that. Easy! Recipe from Mr. Food.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix, prepared according to package directions (*see note)
- 3 eggs (*see note)
- 1 cup water (*see note)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (*see note)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon green food coloring, plus
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 2 (16 ounce) containers cream cheese frosting
- 5 Hostess Twinkies (see Note)
- 5 large marshmallows, flattened to 1-1/2 " x 2-inch
- 5 vanilla wafers or 5 chocolate wafers
- assorted decorative icing or cake decorating gel
- decorative candy sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- *NOTE: Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions; I'm required to list the ingredients needed to prepare the mix (eggs water, and oil) but yours may be different.
- Place 1 cup of the cake batter in a small bowl and stir in 1/8 teaspoon green food color; mix well.
- Pour the remaining batter into the baking pan and drop the colored batter by spoonfuls into the batter in the baking pan and swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect.
- Bake according to package directions; Cool completely then invert onto a serving platter.
- In a medium bowl, combine one container of frosting with the remaining 4 drops green food color; mix well.
- Lightly frost the entire cake with green frosting then heavily frost the top one-third of the cake lengthwise with the remaining green frosting.
- Cut the Twinkies in half lengthwise and place the top halves on the lightly frosted cake section, slightly overlapping the heavily frosted section.
- Frost the Twinkies and the bottom two-thirds and sides of the cake with the remaining container of cream cheese frosting to look like a blanket that covers the Twinkies (the "bodies").
- Place a flattened marshmallow to look like a pillow above each Twinkie on the green frosted part of the cake.
- Decorate the wafers with decorative icing to make hair, eyes, and mouths; Attach the decorated wafers to the marshmallow pillows with leftover frosting.
- Using the decorative icing, make a ruffle around the edges of the blanket; Sprinkle the blanket with decorative sprinkles; serve.
- (If making ahead of time, place toothpicks in the corners and lightly cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve.).
- NOTE: Use more or fewer Twinkies on your cake, depending on how many "slumbering guests" will be attending your slumber party!