Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Southern Living Magazine. Southern Living says in the intro to the recipe, that it received one of the highest ratings in their test kitchen.
- 4 1⁄2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 (16 ounce) package herb stuffing mix
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Stir together cornbread crumbs, stuffing mix, and next 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour conrbread mixture into a lightly greased 5 1/2 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Dot with butter.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours or until cooked through and set.
- Note: For testing purposes only, Southern Living used Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing mix. They also used 2 - 7.5 ounce packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread Mix prepared according to package directions in 8-inch square pans. The baked cornbread made 7 cups crumbs so they suggest freezing the rest.
- **Cook time does not include preparing the cornbread.
EXCELLENT recipe! I made almost as directed. I did saute the celery and onions in the butter before assembling. I made my own Southern Cornbread (no sugar) 4 days prior and let it good and dry before assembling. Made this for Thanksgiving 2012 with great reviews from all 17 family members! I do agree, making this the night before and keeping in the fridge until the next morning worked great! Baked on Low for 4 hours for the most moist and delicious dressing ever! Thanks for sharing!
I love that this recipe can be prepared the night before. It was a huge hit with my work potluck.
This recipe is yummy....it won't be trashed.