Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Southern Living Magazine. Southern Living says in the intro to the recipe, that it received one of the highest ratings in their test kitchen.
- 4 1⁄2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 (16 ounce) package herb stuffing mix
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- Stir together cornbread crumbs, stuffing mix, and next 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour conrbread mixture into a lightly greased 5 1/2 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Dot with butter.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 4 hours or until cooked through and set.
- Note: For testing purposes only, Southern Living used Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing mix. They also used 2 - 7.5 ounce packages Martha White Yellow Cornbread Mix prepared according to package directions in 8-inch square pans. The baked cornbread made 7 cups crumbs so they suggest freezing the rest.
- **Cook time does not include preparing the cornbread.
EXCELLENT recipe! I made almost as directed. I did saute the celery and onions in the butter before assembling. I made my own Southern Cornbread (no sugar) 4 days prior and let it good and dry before assembling. Made this for Thanksgiving 2012 with great reviews from all 17 family members! I do agree, making this the night before and keeping in the fridge until the next morning worked great! Baked on Low for 4 hours for the most moist and delicious dressing ever! Thanks for sharing!
I love that this recipe can be prepared the night before. It was a huge hit with my work potluck.
This recipe is yummy....it won't be trashed.