1/1 Photo of Slow Cooker Banana Upside Down Cake
3 hrs 40 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
I have just discovered the wonder of the slow cooker, and found this recipe online. You can make dessert in a slow cooker, too? Indeed you can, and this is an excellent one to try. My husband raved about it and finished it off in less than 24 hours. He loved the caramelized edges, while I particularly enjoyed the delicious cake. I did not find it too spicy, but actually a good compliment to the sweetness of the bananas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, in small pieces, plus more for the cooker
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus for lining the cooker
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 lbs ripe medium bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise (about 6)
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fine salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, at room temperature
- ice cream, for serving
- 1Bananas: Butter the inside of a slow cooker, line completely with foil, and then butter the foil. Turn on to HIGH. Sprinkle butter, brown sugar and rum over the foil on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover the bottom with the banana halves, cut side down, in a slightly overlapping pattern. Press the bananas into the sugar
- 2Cake: Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a large bowl; then whisk to combine evenly.
- 3In another bowl, slowly beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until just blended. Raise the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally, about 10 minutes. Beat in the egg and then the yolk, allowing each to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- 4While mixing slowly, add the flour mixture to the butter in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix briefly at medium speed to make a smooth batter.
- 5Pour the batter over the bananas and smooth with a spatula to even it out. Lay a doubled length of paper towel from end to end over the top of the slow cooker, to line the lid and create a tighter seal. (See note.) Cover the cake tightly with the lid and continue to cook on HIGH, until the cake begins to brown slightly on the sides and springs back when touched in the middle, about 3 1/2 hours. Turn off the slow cooker and let the cake set, about 20 minutes more.
- 6Using the foil, lift the cake from the slow cooker; set on the counter to cool, about 30 minutes more. Fold back the foil, and carefully invert cake onto a platter so you can see the caramelized bananas.
- 7Slice or spoon cake into bowls and serve with ice cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Banana Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.4
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.0 mg
- Sodium 557.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 67.8 g
- Protein 4.9 g