Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Easy to make cake, Recipe comes from a friend. Good served with icecream.
Make and share this Simple Rhubarb Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour milk (or Buttermilk)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- cinnamon-sugar mixture, to sprinkle top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease 9x13 inch pan.
- Cream together both sugars and shortening.
- Add egg and mix together.
- Mix in ALL remaining ingredients and pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpic comes out clean.
When my neighbor said he wanted a rhubarb pie one evening for dessert, it motivated me to search on Zaar for a dessert with rhubarb in it. Barb's cake is what I found and it is so incredibly moist and delicious! I prepared exactly as directed by the recipe, using buttermilk and was delighted by the results! DH and I have shared this with my neighbors and my parents. We all thought it was delicious and I know it was easy to prepare! Thanks Barb!
I have been making this exact recipe for years. It is the best rhubarb cake I have ever made and my husband loves it. I sometimes make a recipe and a half and still put in a 9 x 13 pan. You don't have to bake much longer, makes a thicker cake, and I can get more of my rhubarb used.