Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Schnecken ("snail" in German) is slightly different depending upon the area of the country you're in, but all of them are absolutely wonderful with your morning coffee. This recipe is courtesy of the Prussian, Pomeranian and Westphalian immigrants who settled in the great Midwest of North America. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight chilling time not included in preparation time.
- Soften yeast in cream.
- Soften butter; add egg yolks, then yeast mixture, salt and flour.
- Beat until dough leaves the bowl.
- Chill overnight.
- Roll out thinly on counter dredged with sugar and almonds.
- Roll up and cut into 1/2" slices.
- For the topping, melt butter in a loaf pan, cover with brown sugar and sprinkle pecans evenly.
- Brush rolls with butter; place close together cut side down on the pecans.
- Let rise until double and bake at 375F for about 30 minutes.
- Turn out of pan at once.