1/5 Photos of San Francisco Style Sourdough French Bread
5 hrs 10 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Pa. Hiker's Note:
Crispy crust, sourdough flavor in an easy French bread recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, mix with starter.
- 2Add 3 cups flour, sugar and salt, stir vigorously 2 or 3 minutes.
- 3Cover with a cloth, set in warm place and let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- 4Mix baking soda with 1 cup of remaining flour and stir in, the dough should be stiff.
- 5Turn out onto a floured surface and begin kneading.
- 6Add the remaining 1 cup of flour or more if needed to control stickiness.
- 7Knead until satiny, between 5 and 10 minutes.
- 8Shape into 2 oblong loaves or 1 large round loaf, place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- 9Cover with a cloth, set in warm place free from drafts and let rise 1 to 2 hours or until nearly doubled in size.
- 10Before baking, brush outside with water and make diagonal slashes across the top with a sharp single-edge razor blade.
- 11Put a shallow pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven.
- 12Bake at 400° F for 45 minutes or until the crust is a medium dark brown.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for San Francisco Style Sourdough French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1018 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1173.2
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2969.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 245.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: