This recipe is a combination of different bread recipes I have been working on for my Bread machine.I used to make a bread that had a Biga(Italian starter).I found PanNan's recipe, worked on it and came up with this great Rustic Bread.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon barley malt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vital gluten
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- In a glass or plastic bowl,stir flour, yeast and water together with a wooden spoon until smooth.Cover with a cloth and let stand overnight.It will be kind of bubbly.
- Stir together flours,sugar,salt,.
- and Vital Gluten; set aside.
- Pour starter in bread machine.
- Add water, honey, Barley Malt,butter and oil.
- Add the flour mixture.
- Make a groove in flour and add yeast.
- Set Bread machine to Dough cycle.
- Keep an eye on the machine as dough may reach the top before the end of the cycle;if this happens push it back down.
- At the end of this cycle, remove dough from machine and split it in 2.
- Shape your breads in free form or in bread pans.
- Preheat oven 400*.
- Cover breads and let them rise for 45 minutes.
- Score the loaves.
- Place in hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350* and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove bread from pans and tap the bottom to make sure it is baked(hollow sound).If not, return bread in the oven (without the pan)for another 5 minutes.
- If you do not have Barley Malt double the amount of honey.
- While the oven is preheating,I set a large pan on top of the stove and sit my breads on a cookie on this pan for the rising stage.It works all the time.