3 hrs 45 mins
Chef Jean's Note:
This is a sightly less complicated take on the traditional Russian Coffee cake. It does still require mulitple risings. It's baked in a coffee can to make a great presentation. There is also a lemon icing that goes on top.This recipe requires 2, 1lb coffee cans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk, scalded then cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- 2Stir in the next four ingredients, 2 1/2 cups of the flour, the almonds, raisins and vanilla.
- 3Beat until smooth then add in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 4Turn dough onto a floured board or counter and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- 5Place the dough into a greased bowl, turn to coat.
- 6Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 7Punch down dough and let rse again until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 8Divide dough in half and roll each half into a well rounded bun shape.
- 9Place each bun in a well greased 1 lb coffee can.
- 10Cover and let rise until the dough starts to puff up over the top of the cans, about 45 minutes.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees on a low rack in the center of the oven for 45 minutes or until brown.
- 12Let cool slightly then remove from cans.
- 13Mix together all of the icing ingredients and pour over the cakes letting some run down the sides.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Coffee Can Cake (Kulich)
Serving Size: 1 (1305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2137.1
- Calories from Fat 637
- Total Fat 70.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 220.0 mg
- Sodium 1282.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 333.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 103.0 g
- Protein 45.1 g