Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Very moist and very delicious! This is a great cake to serve to your guest after a dinner. Please use only dark rum for this, light rum just does not have the same taste. Although I have only prepared this cake using rum liquor, I imagine that you could substitute about 1 tablespoon of rum extract for the "real stuff".
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together, flour, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt.
- Add in eggs and oil; beat at mediuum speed until combined.
- Add in plum baby food and rum; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes and remove to a plate.
- Mix all glaze ingredients for the glaze until smooth.
- Pour over WARM cake.
This cake is INCREDIBLE!!! It is not what I expected at ALL! The plum flavor is not dominant at all, more like a gentle under layer of flavor, the spices do not dominate either, and the rum is also not pronounced. They all blend together sublimely to make an exceptionally moist lightly spiced cake. I used 6 T. of dark rum in the cake mixture, and 2 T. lemon juice and 1 T. rum in the glaze. I almost used melted butter instead of the lemon juice and I am eternally grateful I did not follow that impulse. This glaze is exceptional. It is THE perfect glaze for this cake. Be sure to drizzle it on the warm cake slowly so it has a chance to soak in, you will not regret it! I will from now on always have plum baby food in my pantry (along with carrot baby food to make my carrot bars) to make this beauty of a cake. Thanks Carol for another wonderful recipe!