I got this recipe from a Christmas Cookie book back in 1988. My pastor back in Hawaii LOVES them. They are like mini nut rolls.
- Cut butter into flour using 2 knives.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolk and sour cream.
- Mix well and then add flour mixture. Once again, mix well.
- Divide dough into 3 parts, cover with plastic wrap and refrig. at least 3 hours.
- Prepare filling by combining sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Preheat oven to 375.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll into a circle approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Brush with melted butter and spread 1/3 of the filling mixture on each portion.
- Cut each circle into 16 wedges (like a pizza). Roll, starting at large end.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Simple to make and delicious. The dough is tender and flaky (like a pie crust). I made 1/3rd of the dough with some mango and peach jam, although I filled it up too much and ended up baking out of it! It also lost its delicate texture--if I fill it with jam again I will add much less. The cinnamon, sugar and nut mixture is fabulous. Thanks for sharing this. My husband said this was great!
I was so impressed, this is delicious and LOOKS so good, and yet it really was very simple to prepare!! I am NOT a good baker, but every now and then I want to try.. well, this was an outstanding success! What we also liked was that they are not overly sweet, none of us care for really sweet stuff, this is a sweet pastry, without being cloying. When I rolled the second two lots of dough, an increasing amount of 'cinnamon-sugar' was being rolled into the dough from the previous circles, and that was actually really nice, added a sparkle to the finished product and a nice little crunch. I used brown sugar, incidentally. I'll definitely be making these again, I want to make them for guests and serve them when I serve dessert, I'll have to make LOTS and I know that no one will believe I actually made them myself! :D Thanks, CGM ! Oh, the photo is a bit blurry, sorry, but they are soooo goood!
This isn't the traditional cream cheese dough..it's SO much better. I devised a recipe using a sourcream pastry that is identical to this last Christmas. I was so much more satisfied with the outcome. It's flakey and light almost like pie crust, but richer. I grind the walnuts with the cinnamon and sugar for the filling. This is excellent Rugelach.