1/5 Photos of Rich Chocolate Loaf Cake
1 hr 10 mins
These taste almost like a brownie, they rise nice and high with a wonderful texture...this recipe makes two loaves
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco is good)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup very hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sifted baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 3Generously grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or 6 mini loaf pans (for greasing see my Pan Release posted on this site).
- 4In a large bowl cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until fluffy; add in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition scraping the bowl frequently.
- 5Dissolve the coffee granules in hot water.
- 6Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add alternately with coffee and buttermilk to the creamed mixture, beating until well blended.
- 7Mix in the chocolate chips.
- 8Divide the batter equally between well-greased prepared baking pans.
- 9Bake for 1 hour (for 9x5-in) or 40 minutes (for mini loaf pans).
- 10Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Chocolate Loaf Cake
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.8
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 64.8 mg
- Sodium 193.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g