1/5 Photos of Rhubarb Cake
I love Rhubarb Cake. Caramel and orange juice make this one special. During rhubarb season we make this cake frequently.Cooking time does not include chilling time. You can bake the bottom and cook the rhubarb the night before. Make glaze and fill cake in the morning.- NOTE: it is advantageous to have a special form for the bottom, but if you us a simple round form, use a metal ring around the baked cake when you fill it. Remove carefully when filling has set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 lemon, rind of
- 1 3/4 lbs rhubarb
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 -8 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package red glaze mix (I use Dr. Oetker brand, see note)
- prepared vanilla pudding (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1Prepare cake bottom according to German Fruit Cake Bottom for German Fruit Cake Bottom, but use lemon rind instead of vanilla. You can make the cake bottom in advance.
- 2Let cake bottom cool completely. Meanwhile prepare rhubarb filling.
- 3Wash rhubarb, peel and cut into rather even 1/4 in pieces.
- 4Preheat pot on medium heat and add 3 tablespoons sugar. Caramelize sugar over medium high heat until light brown. Add orange juice and stir until the caramelized sugar is dissolved. Be careful, sugar will be very hot!
- 5Add rhubarb. Cook for about 5-8 minutes stirring constantly, until rhubarb is still firm to the bite. Add additional sugar to taste. Stir until dissolved.
- 6Drain rhubarb through a sieve and reserve liquid. Let rhubarb get cold.
- 7Measure liquid to make 1 cup. If necessary add water to make 1 cup. Prepare the glaze with the liquid according to package directions. Mix in rhubarb immediately and fill directly on cake bottom. Let set.
- 8Either top completely with a fluffy vanilla pudding and let it set, or simply top with freshly whipped sweetened cream.
- 9NOTE on Vanilla Pudding: use your favorite brand. We usually prepare 1 whole package and use about half on the cake. We easily find other uses for the rest.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.8
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 110.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of
red glaze mix