Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is one of the best desserts I've ever had. I combined two recipes to come up with a lower fat version.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons chilled butter or 8 tablespoons margarine, cut into pieces
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups flour into a dry measuring cup.
- Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in butter or margarine until it resembles coarse meal.
- Press mixture into a 13x9 pan that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While that is baking, combine 1/3 cup flour and 1-1/2 cups sugar into a large bowl.
- Add milk and eggs, stirring until well blended.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour over crust, bake for 40 minutes at 350° or until set.
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in a bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Glently fold in whipped topping, spread evenly over custard.
- Cover and chill at least one hour.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Loved your recipe, will definately make again. The only thing I did different was I cooked the filling for 60 mins. instead of 40 mins. and I used 2% milk, ordinary cream cheese and whipped topping. Taste great.
This is excellent! I made this for a family reunion and it was snarfed up before I could grab a camera. I'm not a rhubarb lover by any means, but I even loved this! I did add about 6 freshly mashed strawberries to the rhubarb mix to give it a boost of color and flavor, but it would've been enjoyed without. This goes to the top of the list for my next rhubarb dessert. (36 servings?? no way!)
I have always had rhubarb growing in the garden and have always given it away , but that ends today. this is absolutely the best desert I have had in forever !!!! a must try .