1/2 Photos of Rhabarbertorte Dorothe (Rhubarb Cake Dorothe)
1 hr 40 mins
This delicious cake recipe appeared in the most famous Swiss cooking magazine (Betty Bossy Zeitung) in 1988. It has recently also appeared in a special edition cook book on dishes that made history. I've known this cake for many years already and the recipe must be used in many Swiss households, as otherwise it wouldn't appear in the cookbook mentioned. Rhubarb is very popular here and nearly everybody who owns a house grows rhubarb in the garden. There are many rhubarb recipes, but this one is special because the sour rhubarb in the dough is combined with the sweet chocolate glaze. A marriage made in heaven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g rhubarb (1 lb)
- 100 g margarine, soft (3 1/2 ounces)
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g sugar (7 1/8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 200 g flour (7 1/8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 g semisweet chocolate (5 1/4 ounces)
- 150 ml single cream
- 1I use a petal-shaped tin with a loose bottom for this cake, but it will work equally well in a round 24cm springform or a round tin with a loose bottom. Line the base of your tin and grease the frame.
- 2Preheat oven 180°C / 355°F.
- 3Peel the rhubarbs, halve the sticks if thick and cube.
- 4Mix margarine, eggs, salt, vanilla sugar or vanilla essence until very creamy.
- 5In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder.
- 6Add flour mixture to the creamy one until just combined. Don't use a machine for this.
- 7Add rhubarb.
- 8Put dough into prepared tin and bake on the lowest shelf for 60 minutes or until done.
- 9Let cool in the tin. When cool turn cake out.
- 11Melt chocolate and cream on low heat. Pour glaze over cake and move the cake, so that the glaze covers the whole cake.
- 12You may want to decorate the cake with edible silver pearls.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhabarbertorte Dorothe (Rhubarb Cake Dorothe)
Serving Size: 1 (1453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3583.5
- Calories from Fat 1841
- Total Fat 204.6 g
- Saturated Fat 85.0 g
- Cholesterol 729.5 mg
- Sodium 2151.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 429.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 39.3 g
- Sugars 208.5 g
- Protein 68.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: