1/2 Photos of Red Currant Pie (Or is It Cake?)
Lise in Indiana's Note:
While visiting my daughter in Germany, we were given a basketful of fresh red currants, a sweet-tart berry, and tried this recipe on a whim. It was wonderful! The currants kept their fresh flavor and the pie/cake was a perfect base. Back home, I'm going to try the same recipe with fresh strawberries, then fresh blueberries, then fresh raspberries...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 7.39 ml lemon zest, grated
- 1For Crust: In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- 2Mix in butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon zest until mixture forms dough.
- 3Pat the dough evenly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan.
- 4Chill dough in pan for 25-30 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 6Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- 7For Filling: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- 8Gradually stir in sugar and cornstarch; beat for 5 minutes.
- 9Fold currants into mixture and pour into warm crust.
- 10Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
- 11Cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Currant Pie (Or is It Cake?)
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.0
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 163.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 4.5 g